Created in 2015, the UPR Ponce Hub engages the campus community, public K-12 schools, and the general public in a variety of environmental activities to raise awareness about sustainable material managements (SMM), agriculture, agroecology, water quality monitoring, and more.
Engaging K-12 Schools in SMM Practices:
The UPR Ponce Hub has engaged hundreds of K-12 students and many communities in Ponce and other municipalities in hands-on SMM activities. Members of the Hub coordinated a series of workshops and activities to raise awareness of recycling, composting, gardening, and vermicomposting among teachers, students, as well as parents and guardians. As a result, students have become active stewards involved in anti-litter campaigns and other efforts related to waste reduction, reuse, and recycling.
The Hub held several litter cleanups in 2016 that led to the collection of more than 1,000 pounds of litter. A significant amount of the material recovered was ultimately recycled.
The Hub has also held environmental fairs.
– UPR Ponce
– GREEN-PR Stewards: Ramon Santos Ruiz, Eduardo Llegus Santiago, Hernaliz Vazquez Torres, Israel Rivera, Alan Figueroa
– Municipality of Ponce
– San Juan Bay Estuary Program (SJBEP)
– Coalición Estudiantil Pro-Agricultura (CEPA)
– Proyecto P.A.N.A.S in Ponce
– Medlife PUCPR Chapter
– Pámpanos Verde
– Insititute for Socio-Ecological Research
– Alpha Mu Fraternity
– Sor Isolina Ferré Center
– La Perla del Sur News
– Community leaders from Playa Ponce
– Aurea Collazo School
– Herminia García de Cintrón School
– Celso Barbosa Elementary School
– Julia Cordero Negrón Elementary School
– Escuela Vocacional Bernardino Cordero Bernard School in Ponce
– Escuela Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos
GREEN-PR Mini-Grant Recipient:
Project Period: 2014-2015
The UPR-Ponce Hub was a recipient of funding from SU-EFC’s GREEN-PR Mini-Grant Program for its project entitled, “Impacting Communities through Vermicomposting and the Use of Compost in School Gardens.”