Established in 2015, efforts of the Católica Ponce Hub are focused at the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture, in Ponce. At the Hub, GREEN-PR Stewards are working hard to educate the campus community, local K-12 schools, and the community about solid waste management issues.
Cigarette Butt Litter Prevention:
– In collaboration with the Trash Free Waters initiative in Puerto Rico, eight Stewards worked together to develop a prototype of a cigarette butt receptacle to prevent litter. The receptacles will be strategically installed in various locations throughout the Hub, on beaches and coastal areas, and at other universities in Puerto Rico. The receptacles were designed to withstand the elements with materials donated in-part by the San Juan Bay Estuary Program. The prototype was presented at the first Trash Free Waters Regional Meeting in April 2016.
Campus Waste Audit and New Recycling Bins:
– A waste audit of trash generated at PUCPR was conducted by GREEN-PR Stewards. Stewards designed new recycling bins made of reused materials and installed them on campus to increase recycling rates.
Sustainable Materials Management Workshops:
– Stewards delivered a sustainable materials management (SMM) workshop to 50 K-8 students and three teachers from Colegio Sagrada Familia in Ponce.
– In collaboration with the U.S. Green Building Council, Stewards led another SMM workshop for groups of students of different ages.
– Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico, School of Architecture
– Hub Leader: Derek Torres
– Administrative Contact: Carmen Reyes
– GREEN-PR Stewards: Joseline Rivera, Aidaliz de Jesús, Jesús Alfonso
– San Juan Bay Estuary Program (SJBEP)